Monday, September 8, 2008

Commentary

I'm just having fun. Maybe later I will decide what kind of blog this is and select the photos more coherently. Maybe.

I am playing a game. I am pretending that my photographs are in the style of famous painters. To see the results of this game click "Looks like..."

This is completely bogus, but reminds me of an exhibit in London where a photographer set up scenes to look like famous paintings and photographed them. My favorite was the Death of Ophelia. Hilarious.

Here is Derek Jarman doing the same thing with Caravaggio.

Maybe it's a painting, but it sure looks like a photograph to me. But then so do Caravaggio's paintings.

That's not what I'm doing. I am going strictly for style--not content. By comparing the photos to paintings I am able to justify posting pictures with less than pristine focus, since paintings are usually sort of blurry. The best likeness, to Hopper, was intentional.

No comments: